Mother is a compulsive white liar

• shabbyallie
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 1
  • Thank you received: 0

Mother is a compulsive white liar was created by shabbyallie

Hello, my mother, who I absolutely love, and is a wonderful woman, is a compulsive white liar. She unfortunately has been this way all of my life, I am 50 years old and she is 72 years old. I am looking for guidance on how to address this with my mother. I have told her over and over and  over  how this negatively affects me. She has even explained to me, she does not understand why she feels that she has to convince someone of  something, even if she has to lie about it. For an example, if she has a legitimate reason to return an item to a store, rather than explain the truth why she is returning it, she will come up with a lie instead.  I would be grateful for any and all feedback. 
1 month 1 week ago #93791

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 2950
  • Thank you received: 206

Replied by Betrayed Wife on topic Mother is a compulsive white liar

She's been lying for her whole life, and no one who's had a habit for 60+ years is going to break it any time soon. You've addressed it with her, she admits she has a problem, but apparently doesn't want to do anything about it. You can't change her and she doesn't want to change. People usually don't change unless they hit absolute rock bottom and see that their behavior is destroying their life or that of others. Her lying has not yet put her into that state. The only thing you can do is to accept it and put up with it. It doesn't mean you approve. You simply acknowledge that it is not going to change.
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness -- ancient proverb.
1 month 1 week ago #93794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.